Source: CVDaily Feed

LOGAN — A jury has found 51-year-old Anthony Murphy guilty on all four counts of brutally assaulting a Smithfield woman in May 2009.

The jury deliberated for close to four hours before reaching their verdict Wednesday night, in 1st District Court.

Murphy stood silent and expressed no reaction as Judge Thomas Willmore read the jury’s decision. As the verdict was read, sobs were heard in the courtroom coming from the victim and her family.

Prosecuting attorney Spencer Walsh said he was relieved, thrilled and pleased with the jury’s outcome.

“They made the right decision,” said Walsh. “Anthony Murphy is guilty. He is a serial rapist. He has harmed, terrorized, and victimized women across the country for over a decade. I couldn’t be happier that he will be in prison.”

The jury found Murphy guilty of aggravated sexual assault and aggravated kidnapping, both first-degree felonies, along with forcible sexual abuse, a second-degree felony and aggravated assault, a third-degree felony. He could face up to life in prison when he is sentenced on June 13.

During the trial, the victim testified about how Murphy raped and assaulted her for over two hours, after she argued with him about a text message he’d received from another woman. The victim said she went to bed afterward and was later awakened by the defendant who brutally assaulted her physically and sexually, threatening to kill her as she begged him to stop.

Outside the courtroom, Walsh praised the victim for her courage and said he will ask the court to give Murphy the maximum sentence.

“Obviously he didn’t want to get before a jury and he didn’t want a jury to hear the evidence that the state had. So I cannot thank our victim enough for being patient for seven years. That is very difficult on a victim and I am very grateful for her patience, courage and perseverance. I’m very happy for her.”

Wednesday’s verdict concluded a trial that began last Tuesday and included six days of testimony. Judge Willmore praised the jury of five women and three men saying they had worked hard to reach their decision.

By Staff