Source: CVDaily Feed

It is odorless, tasteless and invisible but radioactive gas known as Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States next to smoking.

On KVNU’s Crosstalk program Thursday, Bear River Health Department environmental scientist Mark Stevens said Radon is found throughout the country, including Utah. Stevens said more than half the homes tested in Cache Valley have elevated levels of Radon gas.

Stevens said it is important for everyone to have their home checked for Radon.

“Some people don’t understand that science supports Radon being a cause of lung cancer. But it is scientifically supported,” said Stevens. “It’s not just a theory anymore.

“There has been extensive peer reviewed studies in the United States that prove that Radon causes lung cancer. This kind of lung cancer is highly preventable.”

Stevens said testing for Radon is quick and inexpensive and you can buy a Radon test kit for about $7. Call the health department at 792-6500 for more information.

Several years ago Stevens found there was Radon in his own home and it cost around $1500 to get the problem taken care of.