Source: CVDaily Feed

MILLVILLE — Troopers are investigating the death of a 19-year-old construction worker, who died after being hit by a truck early Monday morning, north of Ridgeline High School in Millville.

Utah Highway Patrol Lt. Lee Perry said Roman J. Guereca of Brigham City was seen laying along SR-165, near 2400 South when he got up and ran into oncoming traffic, around 6:35 a.m.

“We had somebody that came along and found a male individual that was laying down in the roadway and didn’t appear to have his shirt on at that point,” said Perry. “The motorist stopped and tried to help him, when individual got up and started yelling at the motorist incoherently. The motorist offered to call and get help but then the male individual took off running.”

Guereca reportedly crossed the southbound lanes avoiding one vehicle, before running in front of a white pickup truck that was travelling northbound.

Perry said the truck’s driver had no opportunity to avoid hitting him.

Paramedics were initially paged to the accident but later released, after the Guereca was declared dead at the scene. He was reportedly working for a construction company at Ridgeline High School. Co-workers said he showed up to work around 6:00 a.m. before walking off the job site.

Perry said troopers are investigating whether Guereca was suicidal, or under the influence of drugs or alcohol. A toxicology test is being conducted.

“We are going to look at the possibility that he might have been under the influence of some sort of medication, drugs, or that he had some sort of mental issues going on. That is what we are going to explore as we notify his family.

“It doesn’t appear that it was just a random situation where someone was walking along the road and got hit. It appears that there is a causation on the part of the pedestrian. We don’t know why they ran out in front of the car but we are going to try and figure that out.”

Troopers and Cache County Sheriff’s deputies restricted traffic to one lane in each direction for almost three-hours while they investigated.

By Staff