LOGAN — A 39-year-old Logan man convicted of starving his one-month old baby to death has been sent to prison after violating the conditions of his probation. Zachary Michael Woirhaye had previously avoided a prison term and was sentenced to one year in jail and probation in March 2023.

Woirhaye appeared Monday, May 13, in Logan’s 1st District Court. He previously accepted a plea deal, pleading guilty to one count of child abuse homicide, a second-degree felony.

On Dec. 31, 2021, Logan City Police officers were called to a hotel room. Woirhaye and 35-year-old Jodi Lee Anderson had been residing at the hotel for several weeks. A 46-day-old infant boy was found lying on a bed, unresponsive, not breathing and with no heartbeat.

Paramedics transported the baby to Logan Regional Hospital and later to Primary Children’s Hospital. Medical staff said the boy was unhealthy, and showed signs of malnourishment and neglect. He died two weeks later.

Police later interviewed extended family members, who expressed concerns about both Woirhaye and Anderson’s mental capacity. They claimed the couple had to be continually reminded about feeding the child enough baby formula.

Woirhaye and Anderson were originally charged with aggravated murder, a capital offense. Jodi was also charged with obstructing justice, a second-degree felony.

In March 2023, Woirhaye was sentenced to 365 days in jail followed by probation. He served an additional 4 months after being given credit for 249 days already served.

Woirhaye was arrested April 28 after law enforcement reported finding him at the Cache County Fairgrounds with children, a violation of his probation.

During Monday’s hearing, Woirhaye admitted to violating the court’s previous order. He claimed it was a misunderstanding and that Anderson’s family had been out to get him.

Judge Spencer Walsh said he had warned Woirhaye during sentencing to follow his orders. He imposed the original sentence of one to 15-years at the Utah State Correctional Facility, giving credit for time already served.

Anderson was previously found incompetent to stand trial. She is currently incarcerated, receiving treatment, and is scheduled to appear again in court for a status hearing Aug. 19. She has yet to enter a plea to the charges.

Source link

Leave a Reply