Booking photo for Stuart C. Martin (Courtesy: Cache County Jail).
LOGAN — A judge has refused to grant bail for Stuart C. Martin, the 25-year-old Newton man who was arrested following a standoff with SWAT teams last month.
Martin appeared in 1st District Court Monday morning. He has been charged with aggravated kidnapping, a first-degree felony; aggravated assault and 13 counts of possessing a firearm by a restricted person, a third-degree felony; and two drug possession misdemeanors.
Public defender Shannon Demler asked the court to consider granting Martin bail, so he could be released from jail. He said his client’s condition has improved after receiving medication and counseling while incarcerated.
Cache County Deputy Attorney Dane Murray objected the request for bail, and explained how Martin was believed to be a danger to himself and the community. He explained how the suspect had allegedly sent multiple threats through social media. He also had two loaded AR-15 rifles and a loaded shotgun when he was arrested.
On December 23, 2019, multiple law enforcement agencies responded to a home near 53 South 200 West just before 4 p.m. A caller had phoned 911, claiming that Martin was inside the home and threatening to harm himself or the alleged victim.
Cache County Sheriff Chad Jensen said SWAT teams and negotiators were called to the home and set up a command center at a nearby church. They surrounded the house, while attempting to contact Martin and the victim. The suspect had allegedly pointed a handgun at the woman several times and fired it at least once inside the residence.
Negotiators were able to speak with the victim on the phone. She was able to escape the house through a window and run to waiting deputies.
Jensen said negotiations continued with Martin, who remained inside the home for approximately two hours. Around 6 p.m., he surrendered to SWAT operators without incident.
Martin is scheduled to appear again in court later this month. He could face up to life in prison if convicted.