Suspect wanted for alleged reports of lewdness at Utah State University. (Photo: USU Police Department)

LOGAN — A judge has refused to release a 44-year-old Ogden man facing allegations of leaving notes with pornographic images on cars at Utah State University and exposing himself in public. Anderson Bectemba Barnes was refused bail as prosecutors provided more evidence in their cases against him.

Barnes was arraigned in 1st District Court during a virtual hearing Friday morning. He was charged with two counts of distribution of pornography, two counts of lewdness and two counts of possession of a firearm, all third-degree felonies; and four misdemeanors for lewdness and giving false information to police.

Barnes was arrested and booked into the Cache County Jail after USU police officers claimed that on June 17, he taped a note to a woman’s vehicle with a pornographic image inside. The incident happened in the area of Old Main.

Then again on June 25, police said a driver was traveling on US-89 at the intersection of Champ Drive near the Family Life building, when they noticed Barnes with his shorts down, exposing himself to traffic.

June 26, the same driver pulled into campus in the same area and parked in front of the Agriculture Sciences building. When they went to leave, they found a note with a pornographic image taped to their car. The note had similar verbiage used in the prior letter.

Barnes was seen on campus security cameras on days the incidents were reported. Each time he went to campus, he changed into shorts. He also carried a black backpack with white lettering on the front.

During Friday’s arraignment hearing, Cache County Deputy Attorney Andrew Crane said that when officers attempted to question Barnes, he allegedly gave them a fake name. Police also found a handgun in the black backpack.

Barnes asked the court to be released on bail. He said his uncle, who he lives with, has a medical condition and needs his help. He also said there were several pets in their apartment that he cared for.

Judge Spencer Walsh refused the request for bail. He noted Barnes had a warrant for his arrest on similar charges in California. He said the suspect constituted a substantial danger to others and the community if released, and could also flee the area.

Barnes was ordered to appear again in court July 11. He could face up to five years in prison, if convicted.

Individuals arrested and charged in complaints are presumed innocent unless or until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in court.

Source link