Source: CVDaily Feed
Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints gathered at local meetinghouses Sunday throughout the state of Utah, to participate in the dedication of the Provo City Center Temple.
The temple was dedicated by Elder Dallin H. Oaks of the Church’s Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Tens of thousands of Mormons participated by viewing the three sessions.
The dedication concludes over a century of Church and community history for the Provo Tabernacle, which was completed in 1898 and nearly destroyed after an early morning fire on December 17, 2010. Ten months later, President Thomas S. Monson announced the remains of the structure would be salvaged as the building would be renovated into a temple.
Prior to the first dedicatory session, Elder Oaks, Elders Lynn G. Robbins and Elder Kent F. Richards of the Seventy, and the new temple presidency, helped secure the cornerstone with mortar, a symbolic completion of the temple.
A seven-week public open house, which began January 15, 2016, provided an opportunity for more than 800,000 people to tour the temple before dedication.
The temple becomes the 150th in operation around the world and will serve Latter-day Saints living within the Provo and the Springville areas.