Booking photo for Abraham Denny Edlund. (Courtesy: Cache County Jail)

LOGAN — A 22-year-old Mendon man has been sentenced to one year in jail for sexually assaulting a woman at his home last year. Abraham D. Edlund was led out of a courtroom to begin serving his sentence after telling a judge he was ready to pay the price for what he did.

Edlund was sentenced in 1st District Court Wednesday afternoon. He previously accepted a plea deal, pleading guilty to an amended charge of attempted rape, a first-degree felony.

Edlund raped the 19-year-old victim on the evening of March 19. The woman had reportedly met the suspect on a dating app and had gone out once previously.

During the second date, Edlund reportedly supplied her alcohol, to the point she became sick. Later, he raped her while she was laying on a couch.

During a phone conversation with the victim and recorded by law enforcement, Edlund reportedly blamed his actions on being drunk and not thinking straight.

During Wednesday’s sentencing, defense attorney Shannon Demler said this was a tough case because of the damage that was caused to both the victim and Edlund. He said his client had always been honest in taking responsibility for what he did.

Edlund called his criminal actions tragic and said it abused the trust he had with the victim. He expressed hope that she would find happiness and healing.

The victim spoke briefly, telling the court how she struggled with anxiety and fear after the sexual assault. She didn’t feel Edlund was a bad person but begged him to never hurt another woman again.

Cache County Deputy Attorney Dane Murray said the case was evidence of how one night fueled by alcohol could impact many lives. He asked the court to sentence the defendant to prison.

Judge Brian Cannell called Edlund’s actions heinous and ordered him to serve one year in jail, allowing work release during the final month. He said it was obvious that the defendant could not control himself while drinking.

Edlund will also be on probation and the sex-offender registry following incarceration. He was also ordered to have no contact with the victim.

Source link