LOGAN — A judge has refused to grant bail for a 19-year-old Burley, Idaho man who police claim drove to a Logan park to have sex with an undercover officer, posing as a 13-year-old girl. Tyson Dee Smith was booked into the Cache County Jail after being arrested July 1.

Smith appeared in 1st District Court for a bail hearing Monday morning. He was previously charged with two counts of attempted aggravated sexual abuse of a child, two counts of sodomy on a child, and one count of attempted rape of a child, all first-degree felonies; along with five counts of enticing a minor by internet or text, a second-degree felony.

According to an arrest affidavit, Smith allegedly messaged a Logan City Police officer, posing as a young girl on June 22. He gave law enforcement his name and phone number, and then began talking about meeting in a store parking lot to engage in sexual activities in his car.

As the messages continued, Smith said he lived in Idaho. He repeatedly described graphic details about what he wanted to do with the undercover officer.

On July 1, Smith began telling law enforcement that he wanted to meet but desired to talk on the phone first. A female employee at the police department called and talked to the suspect. He said he was stopping to buy condoms and arranged to meet at a park later, the report described.

Law enforcement claim that later that day, Smith showed up at the park and was taken into custody. He had a box of condoms in his vehicle. While being questioned, he reportedly admitted to coming to Logan to engage in sexual activity with the undercover officer, according to the affidavit.

During Monday’s hearing, defense attorney Edward Stone asked the court to release Smith on bail while the case proceeds through the court system. He said the suspect has “strong family support,” who would restrict his internet and cellphone access.

Judge Spencer Walsh denied the bail request for Smith. He said, “there was substantial evidence to support the charges and the suspect constituted a threat to the community if released.”

Smith was ordered to appear again in court August 8, when a judge will determine whether or not prosecutors have enough evidence to be bound over for trial. He could face up to life in prison, if convicted.

Individuals arrested and charged in complaints are presumed innocent unless or until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in court.


Source link